Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 2 month old kitten has had diarrhea and he is now

Customer Question
dragging his butt on the...
My 2 month old kitten has had diarrhea and he is now dragging his butt on the floor. The diarrhea seems to have slowed down. I have been giving him 1 ml of pepto every 4 hours. Do I need to take him on cause he is dragging his butt.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/7/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now in regards ***** *****'s dragging behavior, we do have a few concerns. It is most likely related to his diarrhea causing scalding to the skin around his rectum. Though we do sometimes see these same signs in kittens with overly full anal glands (that his normal firm stool should have been expressing.

With those in mind, as long as he has no lumps or sores around the rectum, we can try to treat for fecal scalding while monitoring him. To do this, you can start by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. And if he were to lick the area, he may need to wear an e-collar for a few days.

Finally, it would be best to stop the Pepto Bismol at this point. It contains an aspirin metabolite (salicylates) which aren't strictly safe for kitties. Its good he hasn't had any ill effects (vomiting, stomach ulcers, etc) but we'd be better using OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate without the salicylates. Or Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option and have the added bonus of probiotics as well. Otherwise, if the diarrhea is slowing you could switch to just adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm stools and support digestion. And of course, if he hasn't been wormed in the past month, do so now as they are all too commonly a cause for loose stool in kittens.

Overall, we'd be most suspicious that Chewy's signs are from a dermatitis triggered by the loose stool being in contact with his skin. Though we need to keep an eye if he doesnt' settle with the above (or if he is very sore) as anal gland blockage can also appear this way. And finally, we just need to adjust that diarrhea treatment for him so we don't do more harm than good as we try to help him here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian