Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I recently had a coccidia outbreak. I have for cats. 1

Hi. I recently had a...
Hi. I recently had a coccidia outbreak. I have for cats. 1 senior cat and three kittens. They have been on Albon for 3 days. I was worried about them having other parasites that weren't picked up in their original stool samples so I just had new samples tested again. They all came back negative for coccidia but most of the cat's stools are still runny. Not liquidy but softer than a normal stool. Why would the stools still be runny?
Also I feed the kittens Royal Canin dry kitten food and canned kitten food. The senior cat is on science diet prescription joint care food and purina beyond canned cat food pea and duck flavor. Can albon make their stools runny? Should I be worried?
I have four cats, not for (:
6/2/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, no, the Albon doesn't cause diarrhea...it just hasn't been given long enough. The recommended protocols run for 5-20 days depending upon which study we choose to believe. Please note, too, that fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative and ponazuril is the drug of choice for coccidia rather than sulfadimethoxine (Albon). Your concern about other parasites is valid. Persistent diarrhea in spite of appropriate treatment for coccidia should prompt the search for both Cryptosporidium and Tritrichomonas foetus which is done by the pricey PCR (DNA-based) testing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you. I wasn't fan of using albon but my vet was pretty insistent on it. He says it's too expensive but I would have paid a compounding pharmacy to make up the ponazuril.All my cats have health insurance (just like people!) so I can pay for the PCR tests. Those would be covered.As long as no one is in distress or showing signs of lethargy I'm going to finish out the Albon.If the diarrhea doesn't resolve in another day or two, I'm going to ask for an Rx for ponazuril to be compounded. That's why I was asking about dosages earlier.If for some reason they don't get better with the ponazuril I'm going to ask for the more expensive PCR tests.I really appreciate your advice on this. If there's one thing I learned about my animals- catching problems early is so important. Because the earlier I get the correct treatment for them, the better the outcomes have been.

You're certainly on the ball. I enjoy speaking with you. Here's something your vet and you should know: You can purchase the over the counter horse wormer Marquise (ponazuril) and dilute 1 gram of the paste in 3 mL of water to yield 37.5 mg of ponazuril per mL of solution. Dosing is 20-50 mg/kg daily for 1-2 days when addressing coccidia.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian