Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a kitten that has coccidia. It was diagnosed from her

stool sample. My vet wants...
I have a kitten that has coccidia. It was diagnosed from her stool sample. My vet wants to give her albon. She is very tiny (only 1.7 lbs). I asked him about marquis but he said it is too expensive and that he thought albon was best. I need to do more research but I think there is some question about the efficacy of albon on coccidia. Should I get a second opinion? I will use the albon but I would rather pay more and have a healthy cat. Also do you have any other tips on dealing with coccidiosis?
5/30/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Albon is often effective against coccidia. It was the treatment protocol most often prescribed before Marquis became available. It would not hurt to go forward with Albon treatment and to talk to your vet about Marquis if it doesn't work. I do believe that http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com compounds this down for animals and your vet can purchase a prescription for the kitten. The treatment is much more effective and not terribly costly overall. That said, if the vet were to purchase a tube of the Marquis, it is very expensive for the tiny amount your kitten will need and product they probably won't use. Thus, compounding pharmacies become the better answer for the vet not having to purchase unused product they'll lose an expense on and for owners to be able to pay a reasonable price for the treatment.

Make sure to clean all surfaces she's on with 1:10 bleach and water. Let them dry well before allowing her to access them again. You'll also want to be sure to keep her separated from other cats. Scoop or clean the box daily, if you can. Monitor closely for good eating and drinking habits and seek medical care promptly if vomiting or diarrhea begin.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dasha. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse