Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is 9 years old and is going to the box often. He is

My cat is 9 years old and is going to the box often. He is just producing a small amount of diarrhea each time
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: I brought him to the vet a week ago for the same symptoms plus he was vomiting. The doctor took a blood and stool sample, which both came back negative
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: no. same food he has had his whole life
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: He was given a prescription of metronidazole, but the pills are way too big, and he smells it when it is crushed in food and wont take it

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, Doctor

Friend, it sounds like Jack has inflammation in his large intestines. Metronidazole would be a great medication to give him for this problem. This is what you can do to give him the pill.

1- You can place the pill in a little bit of peanut butter or pass it by a little bit of butter.
2- Then, open his mouth place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold the mouth closed.
3- While holding the mouth closed direct the nose up and rub his throat to stimulate swallowing.

4- You can also give him a little bit of soft food immediately after giving the pill. You can give him a little bit of soft food, a/d cat food, meat baby food, etc. with a feeding syringe.

Note: If you wrap his body in a towel and put him in between your legs it will be easier to control his body and give the pill as described above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your response. What could be the cause of an inflamed large intestine? Should I request an x-ray by his vet? I have a follow-up appointment at 11:30 EST

This can be caused by infections, parasites, auto immune (IBS), etc. Before going for imaging of the abdomen I would try to get him to take the Metronidazole. You see, Metronidazole besides being an antibiotic it also helps with the inflammation. So, it may be the solution to his problem. If he does not respond to the Metronidazole I would discuss with your vet about doing an abdominal ultrasound, it will give your vet more information as to possible cause then plain x-rays.

You're welcome. :)

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Alright, thank you for your help! This was my first time using this service, as I stumbled upon it while searching the drug and my cat's symptoms online. I am pleased with your attention and advice.

I am glad I was here to help.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter