Sean Egan
Sean Egan,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Egan Fife Animal Hospital
98381030

I have a cat who is constipated and got enema. He haven't

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a cat who is constipated and got enema. He haven't had bowel movement since, about 48 hours. Is that normal or should I do something for him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pokey, 7 yo
JA: How old is Pokey?
Customer: 7.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pokey?
Customer: He had enema on Monday and had passed. Currently he is on enulose and high-fiber diet. No issues on x-ray or blood test.

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Pokey.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

Is he still eating? Is he vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He started eating normally after a day of enema. No vomiting.

And when you say that there are no issues on x-ray- that means that he didn't have a lot of stool in his colon after the enema?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was before enema. A vet sedated him, took an x-ray, then enema.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She said the cat passed a good amount at the hospital.

So currently is he acting normally, eating normally and drinking normally? Just not defecating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A bit of drooling because of post-sedation, otherwise he seems ok.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Eating and drinking fine.

Ok, then what may have happened is that they emptied his colon, and all of his digestion hasn't made enough stool yet for him to have to pass. As long as he is eating and drinking ok, you're fine to wait a few more days. What you want to watch for is loss of appetite, vomiting, and straining in the litterbox. If that starts happening, you should have a recheck with the vet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's what I wanted to know. Thank you very much!

You’re very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sean Egan