Sean Egan
Sean Egan,
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Egan Fife Animal Hospital
98381030

I have a 3 1/2 year old male cat in excellent health. The

I have a 3 1/2 year old male cat in excellent health. The person who gave him to me was feeding him a wet food, "Broths" by Purina. The problem is he has become addicted to the tuna flavor & will not eat anything else. (He licks the juice out of the bowl & rarely eats the food; kind of a waste of money). I know a diet of tuna is not healthy. I give him 2 types of dried food & plant cat grass for him. How can I wean him off this food? He will not give up if I don't give it to him. Is there a healthier alternative or is dry food enough? Thanks.
Laura

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I just came online and see that your question has not yet been answered. I'm sorry for that. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Yoda.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

From the description in your question, it looks like he only licks juice from the food- is he eating the solid part of the food as well?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He hardly ever eats the solid food; he only eats the liquid.
Laura

Is he losing weight?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. He is very large and long. Not overweight.

He must be eating more food than you think then or possibly hunting? Is he on straight tuna out of the can, or tuna cat food?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He eats dry food as well. He doesn't hunt; he's a housecat. The tuna is a tuna cat food, not people food.

Ok, a tuna cat food will be a complete diet, so still fine for him along with the dry food. Why do you think tuna isn't nutritious enough for him?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I heard that tuna is bad for kidneys because of the mercury content

The tuna content in the cat food won't be high enough to be a factor for him. If he were on canned tuna every day, that would be a different story.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. Thanks for the advice.
laura

You’re very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yoda. How is everything going?

Sean Egan