Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Locum Veterinarian at Self
28121390

My cat started randomly blowing air out of his nose. it

my cat started randomly blowing air out of his nose. it started last night when he was drinking water our of the sink and he only does it every once awhile. should I be worried?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: he's up to date on all of his shots and stays indoors. only goes outside a couple hours a week
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also, I found him at 3 weeks old and he had a really bad upper respiratory infection. I was able to treat the infection and he hasn't has any issues since.

Hi. I am Dr. Beatty and am happy to help. Give me just a minute to read through your notes. I'll be right back.

I have a few questions to ask you about your kitty. First, what is his name? How old is he?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
his name is ***** ***** he will be 2 years old in October

Thanks! Can you explain a little more what you mean by "blowing air out of his nose"? Do you mean sneezing or snorting? Does Cash have any discharge from his nose or eyes?

How has Cash been acting otherwise? Is he active or is he lethargic? Is he eating and drinking well?

Did the noise only happen while he was drinking water out of the sink or has it continued today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's not a sneeze or snort. it sounds like he may have some water stuck up his nose and tries to remove it by quickly blowing out air. he has no discharge and his nose is wet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he is very active and is currently running around the house
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the nose thing happened right after he drank water from the sink but it's been offering randomly every now and then throughout the night and today

I understand you have had Cash since he was a itty bitty kitten and had a bad upper respiratory infection at the time. Did he need a lot of treatment for that infection or did he recover on his own? I understand from what you said that Cash has never had any kind of recurrence of this infection. Is that right?

Got it! So the first time you ever heard it was after drinking from the faucet but it has happened a few times since then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave him antibiotics religiously for 2 weeks and the antibiotics were able to cure him and he hasn't had a problem with it reoccurring
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
at first I thought maybe he had some water stuck up there but now im more concerned becuase it's happened a few times since he was drinking water

Thanks for the information about his early respiratory infection. The reason I asked is that there are many causes of respiratory infections in cats and one of the most common is a Feline Herpes Virus. This particular infection can remain latent (hidden) in cats for long periods of time without showing any symptoms and can occasionally recur (often during times of stress). It doesn't sound like that is what is happening in this situation since he has never had a recurrence before and he is nearly 2 years old. I agree with you that the timing of this situation really does seem like it is related to Cash drinking water out of the faucet. It is possible that there was some irritation and that it's still a bit irritated up there.

Here's what I am thinking. I think the most likely thing is that the water irritated the nasal passages and is still causing a bit of irritation thus the occasional blowing out of air. If that is the case, the situation should resolve quickly over the next day or so at the most. Other possibilities include the beginnings of a recurrence of the respiratory infection (not terribly likely as I explained) or possibly a foreign body of some kind in the nose. A foreign body in the nose is not terribly likely since he's mostly an indoor cat but I guess it could have happened on one of his excursions outdoors and is just now starting to bother him.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oh good! thank you. cash does not do well at the vet and I didn't want to take him unless it was absolutely necessary. what should I do if the behavior keeps occurring?

If it's the respiratory infection recurring, that will be pretty obvious over the next few days. He will start sneezing, maybe coughing, have eye discharge and become quieter and maybe have a decreased appetite. If it's a foreign body situation you will likely notice that this blowing out of air becomes worse, he might paw at his nose, or have some nasal discharge.

Sorry for the delay there was some kind of little system glitch!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no worries, thank you so much! I was really starting to worry and this has helped me calm down. cash is my first cat and I've pretty much been his momma since I found him on the side of the road when he was 3 weeks old. I worry about him alot becuase i haven't had much experience with other cats and what's normal/abnormal.

Many cats don't like going to the vet! Cash is not alone!!! I don't think it is necessary at this time to take him to the vet. I would feel fine (if you feel fine with it) if you watch him at home for the next few days. Hopefully, this will just go away on it's own very soon! Obviously, if he starts having worsening symptoms or is not acting normally or not eating normally, you should touch base with your regular veterinarian or even with me again. I think this case will remain open for several days even after you rate me so you can always come back here and ask me follow up questions! I am very happy to provide more information if you need it!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you! and I have one more quick question. I found 2 of his wiskers in my bad this week. is it normal for cats to loose wiskers?

Cash is lucky to have such an attentive and caring Momma. For the next few days I might not let him drink from the faucet just so we can make sure he doesn't possibly recreate the same situation and then we will have a harder time knowing if he's not getting better or if he just got water in his nose again. Otherwise, it is fine and really good that he likes to drink from the faucet. Cats really need a lot of water especially as they age and most cats really like the experience of fresh flowing water :) so it's a great way to encourage him to drink more water!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you! I even bought him his own little fountain to encourage him to drink more water when I'm at work :)

Yes it is normal for cats to lose whiskers! That's nothing to worry about as long as he's not losing tons of them!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you!!! thank you!!!

You're very welcome! I'm so pleased I could help you and Cash this afternoon! Please remember to check back if you have other questions (and to let me know how he's doing!). I love to hear how these cases turn out. If I have been helpful for you today and you have been pleased with my help, please mark "ACCEPT" and "RATE" my help. This is such valuable feedback for me and for other clients as they reach out to me for help. Thanks for trusting us with your questions. Have a great evening! Dr. Beatty :)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you! have a great evening as well :)

Thank you for accepting my answer and rating me. It has been my pleasure to help you today! Let me know how he is doing, please!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hilary Humm-Beatty