Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 7 was old Manx female and I took her to the vet

I have a 7 was old Manx female and I took her to the vet last week because she has extreme pain when pooping and some comes out but there's always a piece that takes time to come out, that piece she doesn't push but the first bit she does. The vet told me she was a Manx and it's the problem with these cats rectum, which I already knew, he gave her an anesthetic and an enema but gave me no reason why she is in pain. Not sure what I should be doing??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: The screen won't let me move where I write so I can't see the message
JA: How old is The?
Customer: 7wks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The?
Customer: No she is a very active and happy kitten just in lots of pain when defacating
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her name is ***** ***** has a small cartilage I assume where her tail should be not bigger then 1/4 of an inch and she won't go to litter herself I have to put her in and she pees and poop's out the first but then she thinks she's finished but it's painful for her and still uncomfortable till that piece that's halfway out drops
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The vet told me all I can do is put Vaseline on her butt and I felt he was hinting that I should put her down but I would never do that

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, its not so much that Bobbie has an issue with her rectum as much as these kitties have problems arising from the failure of their spinal cord and bones around the cord having failed to close when forming (akin to spina bifida in people). And when we see pain, it usually is related to the force they have to bear down to pass stool but sometimes it can also be secondary to spinal infection.

Now if she is otherwise well in herself, it'd be ideal to have her vet trial her on OTC kitty safe pain relief (ie Metacam). Since they've just seen her for this, you can ring to see if they will dispense this without a revisit. And that way we can see if we can get her generally more comfortable passing stool.

Otherwise, we can take some steps to ease the chore of passing stool for her. Now it is a case of finding what works best for Bobbie, but to start we can try adding cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) to her food. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of feces out of the rectum making it easier to go. Alternatively, you can add a small volume of Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil to her daily meals. Again as a GI lubricant these ease the passage of feces though are a bit stronger then cat hairball treatments.

Furthermore, to help keep her regular it can help to add canned pumpkin or a 1/2 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil to her meals. Just like people, these can help push stool through the gut and keep fecal output regular. For ease of using any of these, consider feeding canned food. It will make these easier to give daily but also as its 35% water, it will ensure we are getting fluids into her (which kitties never take in enough on their own) to keep her stools from getting too hard.

Overall these kitties can require special care and in your lass's case, we'd want to start with all of the above for her. Of course, if her signs persist or she has any other signs (ie wobbliness, dragging legs, etc), then we may need her vet to check for spinal infection and treat for that for Bobbie.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was feeding her pumpkin purée and I felt like it was helping her but the vet told me to stop because it bulks her stool but without it her stool is very hard and sometimes bigger. I always feed her canned food and I add water to it because she doesn't drink water at all. Thx so much for your advice very happy

You are very welcome, my dear.

Fiber like that in pumpkin doesn't tend to make stools hard (its one of those treatments often used in both loose and hard stools in humans). So, if you found it helpful, it can be used here. As well, I am glad to see you have the fluid angle covered and I'd just note cat milk and low salt broths could also be tried to help encourage her to drink better for us. And again those GI lubricants should also help to just keep stools moving easier through her gut and with that we'd hope to get her more passing them with less discomfort.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.