Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I can't tell if he's constipated. Earlier he cried a little

I can't tell if he's constipated. Earlier he cried a little went in the box got in position like he was going to deficate but didn't he got out and threw up. I gave him some wet food and he ate it all then ate some dry food. Been over an hour and he's been fine. About 30 min ago he went in the box stood there for a second and got out. I'm worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Cat
JA: OK. Welcome! What's going on with your cat?
Customer: I just told you
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Digest What?

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your cat. One concern in a male cat is that he is trying to urinate, not defecate. Male cats can get "blocked", where there is a blockage in the urethra so they can't empty their bladder. They will sit in the litter box and strain, will vomit, and eventually will stop eating and get sicker and sicker.

The only way to tell if this is his problem is for a veterinarian to feel his bladder to see if it is enlarged. If it is, he needs immediate medical attention.

If he was constipated, he would probably not be eating. Again, I could tell you right away, by feeling his colon and bladder with my hands, but knowing where these internal organs are, and what normal feels like, takes some experience and practice.

Check his gums by lifting his lip, are they pink in color?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea they are pink. I know about the obstruction, i had a cat that died from that in January. He's not in the urinate position he's on the deficating position.

Good that his gums are pink.

If he is constipated, he may need an enema. By the time cats get constipated, it is usually past the point of using stool softeners. You can try the stool softener Mira Lax, 1/4 th teaspoon in food twice daily.

Do not use any enemas for people in cats, not even ones made for infants. They are toxic to cats.

Keep him eating and drinking. If his gums stay pink and he is eating, that is a good sign.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have canned pumpkin is it ok to give him a little with his wet food? He drinks lots of water. Always has.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Want to make sure it's ok to give him some canned pumpkin to help him poop. He's also an outdoor cat too so i don't know if he's gone poop outside

It is OK to give canned pumpkin. It is more helpful to soften stool as it is forming, not once a cat is constipated, but it is safe to try.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. How much do I give him? He seems fine if he was constipated would he just be laying down on the bed just relaxing or would he be up ?

If he is constipated, he will stop eating, and possibly vomit. He might be in and out of the litter pan. I really only could tell by palpating his colon.

You can give 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin twice daily.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok well he's eating and hasn't thrown up neen 2 hrs since he ate. Ok ill see how he is the rest of the night. Taking him to vet saturday for his senior wellness check which I'm scared of.

Good he is eating. It does not sound like an emergency right now. Try the pumpkin or the Mira Lax and try to monitor how much he is defecating.

Why are you scared of a senior wellness exam? How old is he?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
16 or 17. He drinks tons of water and is skinny. Always has been skinny. As I said I lost my other cat in January and now I'm obsessed with my other cats health. Sometimes he doesn't jump he will climb up. We have a little gate to block the dog from eating his food and sometimes he steps over it instead of jumping

I worry about cats that drink a lot. It can indicate diabetes, kidney disease, and other conditions. Not jumping can indicate weakness or arthritis.

If he does have a problem, the sooner it is identified the more treatment options you will have. Glad he is getting checked out this week.

Let me know if this is helpful, what you find out, and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's been doing those things for years so hope it's not too late. Thank you.

Surely it is not too late if these have been going on a long time.

You are welcome.

Thanks for the great rating.