Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She's acting very strange, she wants to drink but cant. She

She's acting very strange, she wants to drink but cant. She also wont eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: baby jack and she's about 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about baby jack?
Customer: not that i can think of
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's indoor and outdoor cat, she's lost weight and very little energy. Neighbors cat is acting strange also. Her toenails are white. Idk if they have alwZys been but just seemed to notice it

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

Any excessive drooling?

How long has the weight loss been going on for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would say about 2 maybe 3 days
No drooling
Weight loss abou the same amount of time
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there

I am here, but it does take some time to type out a good response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No rush. Sorry

Thanks for the information. Realize that with her symptoms, there can be many, many things going on. The symptoms are all common with most cat illnesses. Given her reluctance to drink, my first thought would be something going on in the oral cavity. It could be severe inflammation, a tumor, trauma or a foreign body. I do expect some drooling with those issues, though, so we have to consider that she may have a parasitic, liver, pancreatic, thyroid or kidney issue. She could have gastrointestinal inflammation from severe inflammatory bowel disease or gastrointestinal lymphoma as well. My biggest concern at 3 days of anorexia is that cat's can develop a serious liver issue called hepatic lipidosis in this little amount of time from not eating. Often hepatic lipidosis is more severe and life threatening than the initial cause of the anorexia. So, any with any anorexic cat of 2 days duration, I always recommend just getting to the vet and not wasting any time trying something at home because it could get much worse in that time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you suspect poisoning
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Considering our neighbors cat is doing similar things it just makes us wonder. Our neighbor said his cats mouth was swollen

Poisoning is possible but not really my first thought. Reason being is that if she is interested in water but cannot or will not drink, it would probably be something causing irritation to the mouth, which should cause excessive salivation. That is not a reason to say poisoning cannot be the cause, but I would look for other reasons first. Unless Baby Jack's mouth is swollen as well, I wouldn't have a strong suspicion that the illnesses are related. An allergic reaction to a bug bite/sting, an allergic reaction to something else or irritation from a plant or something else ingested are possible; but there isn't enough to go on to highly suspect that now. I would be looking for some type of trauma in the other cat's mouth first. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate your knowledge!

You are very welcome. Let me know if any other questions come up.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh i forgot to ask you, what about the toenails. Are they normally white?

They can be. Most cat nails are clear. Some may be white. I just don't know what is normal for Baby Jack. If white is not a normal color, it could be a problem with infection or blood flow (more likely if all nails affected). Hope this helps.