Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Locum Veterinarian at Self
28121390

My cat is an indoor cat but she got out a few days ago about

Customer Question

my cat is an indoor cat but she got out a few days ago about 3 days ago and I'm not sure how long she was out. ever since then she has been slowly getting more lethargic and wont eat now since about last night and has been throwing up yellow watery fluid with no food in it......
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: and normaly she wants to cudle but she wont let me touch her hardly. we live on 2 acres in the country and we have chickens and have had a rat problem lately so my dad put some rat poisen out. but she is also a very smart and curious calico I bottle fed with no fear
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Hilary Humm-Beatty replied 2 months ago.

Hi. This is Dr. Beatty. What is your cat's name and how old is she?

When you say she won't let you touch her, does she seem painful/grouchy?

I know you are so worried about your sweet kitty! It can be so worrisome when they go off for a few days and then come back not feeling well. There are so many different things that could be going on with her. It sounds like she has been having a decreased appetite and now is vomiting and getting more lethargic and possibly painful since she won't let you touch her.

Based on what you are describing it sounds like your kitty needs to be seen by a local veterinarian either tonight or definitely tomorrow. Your local veterinarian will be able to start with a good physical exam and see if they can find the reason for her not feeling well. She could have some kind of trauma, infection (possibly an abscess from a cat fight), toxicity, have eaten something that she cannot pass, etc. Unfortunately, I am not able to diagnose her in this setting but I can tell you that she needs to be seen by someone local either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, please make sure that you keep her inside until you can take her into the veterinarian. Sometimes, when kitties are not feeling good, they will slink off alone and if she does that and you cannot find her you won't be able to get her the help she needs! So, keep her inside until you take her in.

It appears that you are not online right now to ask me about other questions or concerns about your kitty. I hope that my advice at least gives you some guidance about when and what kind of care your kitty needs. If you have the time to rate my assistance, I would appreciate it as it is valuable to me as I am helping other clients and their pets. If you can, let us know how your kitty is doing. Take care. Dr. Beatty