Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I accidently put ear drops in my cats eye and I'm just

Hello, I accidently put ear drops in my cats eye and I'm just really scared. After I figured out it was the ear drops I got Eye Relief/Eye Wash probably 2-3 drops in both eyes. I just need to know he'll be okay.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: His eye's get infected easily and he has been taking eye medication for about a year now.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about your cat. I'm sure you feel just terrible about this but accidents do happen so I hope you won't beat yourself up too much about it.

More than likely, he'll be fine although the ear drops may cause some irritation to the eyes. I would have advised that you gently flush them with sterile saline (if you have any) but the Eye Relief/Eye Wash was probably just as good.

If the eyes look irritated tomorrow and/or he's keeping his eyes closed or squinting, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much, I just put more eye drops in his eye. I'm going to leave him alone until tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

You're more than welcome. I'm glad you flushed out his eyes again; this is what I would have done.

Good luck; hopefully, he'll be fine tomorrow with no lingering negative effects. Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He seems good so far, I put eye drops in both eyes today. One eye was almost closed shut but I believe that's his normal infection he's had for a while.

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear that he seems fine although you'll want to keep a close watch on that one eye (which I know you plan to do). If this is normal for him to squint or keep it closed, then that's one thing but if it seems worse, then he may have a mild corneal abrasion which might requirement treatment from your vet.

But, logic dictates that if the ear ointment were going to cause a problem, both eyes would likely be affected. Deb

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You're right and thank you for all the help, I'll definitely be keeping a look out for both of his eyes as well as the one eye that he squints or closes every now and then.

Glad I could help.

And, your plan sounds reasonable to me:) Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Everything is doing great, he's perfectly fine now. Thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know especially since all is good:) Take care, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You're welcome and thank you

My pleasure:)