Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

An outside stray cat has adopted me... I want to get him

Customer Question

An outside stray cat has adopted me... I want to get him Revolution Flea and Tick medicine. Is it the same medicine for either dog or cat but a different quanity?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the stray's name and age?
Customer: The stray is a Male - 18-19 lbs and I think at least 2-3 years old, maybe older. I suspect he was someones pet at one time or another in his lifetime. I likes to be brushed...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Canine flea and tick medication is formulated completely differently than feline flea and tick prevention. Do not use a canine flea and tick on a cat it will cause severe reactions and warrant a visit to an emergency veterinary clinic.

Revolution for cats only does flea and heart worm prevention it does not prevent ticks. There is a product on the market called bravecto for cats that does flea and tick

Applying a canine product to a cat often results in intense seizures and muscle tremors.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you are telling me that the paperwork submitted to the FDA for Revolution is false information and you as a veterinarian are correct in your answer? Okay, if that is true; what is the difference in the molecular structure of the two?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is not true:
Revolution (selamectin) Topical Parasiticide is available as a colorless to yellow, ready to use solution in single dose tubes for topical (dermal) treatment of dogs six weeks of age and older and cats eight weeks of age and older. The content of each tube is formulated to provide a minimum of 2.7 mg/lb (6 mg/kg) of body weight of selamectin. The chemical composition of selamectin is (5Z,25S)- 25-cyclohexyl-4’-O-de(2,6-dideoxy-3-O-methyl-α-L-arabino-hexopyranosyl)-5- demethoxy-25-de (1-methylpropyl)-22,23-dihydro-5-hydroxyiminoavermectin A

You said flea and tick revolution is for fleas only and heartworm prevention

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I did not say that...

my recommendation stays the same it is not recommended to use dog formulations on cats.

The sentence I am referring to is in your post "I want to get him Revolution Flea and Tick medicine"

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you familar with Revolution (selamectin)? What is the difference in the two - is what I am asking??

Yes I use revolution all the time.

Revolution is used in both cats and dogs but it does not treat for ticks.

I cannot recommend using the canine revolution for a feline because it is off label regardless if the chemistry says they are the same.

And yes it may just be a dose difference but they also may have different carriers that you are not seeing that distribute the medication in the skin

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you also know what "selamectin" is? And if so why are you saying one is different for cats than dogs except for quanity?

Salamectin is the active ingredient pf revolution : the %of the active ingredient in dogs also can be different that in the the cats dose

I am going to opt out here as I seem to not be communicating effectively for you. I do stay by my recommendation that you should not use canine labeled products for cats unless the label instructs that you are able to do so which revolution for dogs does not contain that in its label .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then why does the paperwork submitted to the FDA say it's the same? You can't back up your claims so you just opt out. You should go to the White House!