Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I had my 15 year old cat groomed yesterday and since he

Customer Question

I had my 15 year old cat groomed yesterday and since he hasn't been able to walk straight and is very lethargic. Is it possible he's had a stroke?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: His name is T.J.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about T.J.?
Customer: Yes he might have some kidney problems he's constantly thirsty and urinates huge amounts
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did they use any sedation or give any drugs during the grooming?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any weight loss, sweet odor to his breath, or change to his breathing rate?

Is he circling in any particular direction?

Any head tilting?

Has he ever been tested for kidney disease?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They didn't use sedation. He is circling to his right and is not able to jump. His gums are pale and he has an odor to his breath but it's not sweet. He has lost some weight but no he has never been tested for kidney disease.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about T.J.

Circling to one side with wobbliness and weakness is quite serious. If we can exclude drugs/toxins, then we'd have to consider inner ear infections, vestibular disease, and can be a feature of brain lesions (bleeds from high blood pressure with the stress of the visit, swellings, infections, tumors). As well, we can see neurological signs with advanced kidney issues and these are of particular worry here along with a brain bleed from high blood pressure in his case. Especially as paling gums (since kidneys secrete the hormone that makes marrow produce red blood cells) and an ammonia type odor would both be signs of advanced kidney issues.

In this situation, if he were my patient, I'd want to have T.J seen at this stage. Ideally, we'd want a full neurological examination, blood pressure check and geriatric bloods to help localize which system is involved. If it is his kidneys, fluids and symptomatic treatment may be needed to get him stable. And often since blood pressure issues are another kidney side effect, treating that helps with the blood pressure. Otherwise, if they find suspect brain inflammation, then steroids can be used to reduce that. If infection is suspect, then antibiotics can also be started. Of course, if a brain mass is suspect, then you could potentially have him referred for an MRI scan of his brain. But overall, given T.J's signs, we'd be most suspect of a bleed (akin to a stroke) in the brain but that his kidney issues are at the heart of this and need to be addressed to get him settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.