Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Trembles after flea med, teenage kitten came to our house

Customer Question

trembles after flea med
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. How old is med?
Customer: teenage kitten came to our house covered in fleas
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about med?
Customer: a tint of blood when i wash his head when i wash his head
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How old is the kitten?

What brand was it?

Can you confirm it was right dose for his size and for cats?

How long ago (hours) was it applied?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
enforcer flea drops plus with fgr for dogs a small amount was put on him last night about 9:30 saw the tremers this morning
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

This is a serious situation as this product isn't cat safe at all. As you will see on the label, it specifically says no to use in cats since it is a Permethrin.This is very toxic to cats and can cause shaking as you have seen but also seizures. Furthermore, if this was put on hours ago, we can only head off worsening of the signs as there is no antidote for it (not at home and not even at the vets). It is a case of supportive treatment to get them through the period of the drug's effect.

Now if he is only showing trembling and it has been >8-12 hours; we'd hope that is all we see. Though for the next 24-48 hours, you can to monitor for seizures. If you see any, he will need to see his vet to be treated with anti-seizure medication +/- muscle relaxants from her vet. As well, in those cases, we often administer IV fluids to help speed up the body's flushing of this toxin from their system. Or if his trembling is severe, he may benefit from muscle relaxants.

Otherwise, you need to keep a close eye and ideally keep him in a room that is calm, quiet, and dimly lit (to decrease stimuli that might trigger seizures). You can offer small amounts of food and water but if he isn't keen then you don't want to push at this point since GI signs can also be part of this type of poisoning. And if there is still some of the product on his coat, wash it off thoroughly with cool water and dishsoap.

With supportive care for the signs, provided a cat doesn't go into seizures (which of course need treating), most cats will survive this type of poisoning and recover within 24-48 hours. So, if he is only twitching just now then you may consider monitoring in quiet room at this stage. Of course any worsening and we'd need to have him seen urgently.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.