Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My name isSherri Greene; Try this again; my cat is 16 years

Customer Question

Hi my name isSherri Greene;
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Try this again; my cat is 16 years old, a Maine Coon his name is "Freedom" was just diagnosed with 1st stages of Renal Failure last week. Other than that he received a perfect bill of health. I was pretty down when we left the office so Once home We retrieved to the back yard for some R&R. He is a indoor cat 90% of the time, only on a leash or in his kitty walk about can he taste the sweet outdoors. We did a bit of both that day. The following day Freedoms ear was bleeding as if he had been bit, I have been applying triple antibiotic ointment and cleaning the old blood from the surrounding area. It looked as if it was getting better bu
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: h
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Freedom?
Customer: Typically he is quite spunky, not so much in the last week. He was given his monthly Resolution, it covers flees, heartworm, but not mites, so I gave him a dose of Advantage two days after the aleadged incident thought maybe if it was a mite issue the Advantage would take care of it.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Sherri. Thanks for your patience. It's very rare for us to see ear mites in cats that are not indoor/outdoor. If anything, this may be an ear infection. Can you share a few clear, detailed photos of the area that concerns you?