Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

May 11: Buck is 17, still pretty frisky, has great hygiene.

Customer Question
May 11: Hi - Buck...
May 11: Hi - Buck is 17, still pretty frisky, has great hygiene. This may an anxiety issue: I was gone for a month this January. My husband joined me the last week, so we were both gone. I noticed Buck had lost some weight which made him look less bulky and better. But he yowled constantly, whereas before I left he was a pretty quiet, sedentary cat. We leave water dishes by his food and by our bedroom, which he now drinks more in the last 6 weeks (we've had only a handful of warm days this year.) The 3am-4am yowling has increased. We keep or even delay his usual twice-a-day feeding to 5:3am and give treats a couple times between meals. Tell me this is anxiety vs alarming diabetes. He's really healthy-looking/acting to us.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buck?
Customer: I noticed perhaps a bit more weight loss, again making him seem less overweight. Since last May, he had maintained about 14 lbs., so I'm guessing he's 12.5 now? The Humane Society had him for 2 months before we got him that May, after living on the streets. His SF tag ID'ed him so he was picked up 170 miles north of SF where I saw him, distrustful and aloof. He's blossomed under our care and maybe is bit too needy. WDYT?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
5/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the thorough history you provided. Playing devil's advocate, I must tell you that there's usually more than one thing wrong in a 17 year old. Polydipsia is a danger sign for quite a few disorders. He's likely to also be urinating a larger volume of urine (polyuria) and the combination of those symptoms can indicate both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, hyperthyroidism, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus.

His vocalizing is most often associated with hyperthyroidism although cognitive dysfunction must be a consideration at his advanced age. His weight loss is a nonspecific symptom of illness but is consistent with hyperthyroidism and diabetes mellitus in a cat continuing to eat well...if not too well. Buck's vet will want to perform a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests which I suspect will clarify why Buck is behaving in his manner. It's best to fast Buck for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate test results. Never restrict water, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Sent 12:41 May 11: "Sorry, he'll be 15 years old in June - probably makes little difference?
How does this work - on this first amount of $22, can we continue the text or talk even on future days on the same subject?"

Correct. He's still an old man. We can talk indefinitely in this conversation even after rating as long as it's about Buck. There's no additional charge to you. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thanks. Hubby and I will discuss and get back to you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian