PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 13 year old cat, Roxy was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism

Customer Question

My 13 year old cat, Roxy was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism over a year ago. I haven't taken her for treatment because I lost my job after having a total thyroidectomy. She is thin and always staving no matter how much I feed her. her stomach is making gurgling noises. She is playful, energetic, loving and cuddly all the time. I give her constant attention and play time daily. Is there anything I can do to help calm her symptoms naturally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: She started pooping on the litter box carpet no matter how clean I keep it. She attends the 5+ cleaning sessions per day and assess the job I've done. I wash the plastic box every three days, line it with a litter bag and put in fresh litter. I bought a new carpet yesterday. She didn't give it 12 hours before pooping next to the box. Sometimes she goes for days without an issue. I see no pattern to the problem.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The symptoms you are seeing are all normal for a hyperthyroid cat. If you are wanting to take a non-surgical, non-medical approach, consider a complete switch of her food over to Y/D. This diet is meant to be used to manage cases of hyperthyroidism and is likely your most effective approach from home without medical intervention. That said, your vet will likely need to either sell this diet to you or authorize its purchase. Typically an examination once annually will allow your vet to provide authorization. http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-feline-yd-dry

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800