Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She's vomiting almost everyday. She has vomited diarrhea

Customer Question

She's vomiting almost everyday. She has vomited diarrhea looking with a poo that I thought was because of her wet food. She's vomited about 5 or 6 times now and the last 3 times were in the past 24 hours. Her last gagging, vomit fit didn't produce anything but clear liquid this time around. I'm worried about her because she's about 14 years old. She had been eating fine and purring, acting fine. I saw a runny stool this morning in the litter box and her last vomiting episode with the clear stuff was alerted to me by some loud unhappy meows. I don't know what to do. :'(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: There are some messes, but she's more important. I don't think she's eaten anything unusual.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She has really bad allergies and sneezing fits. That's why her name is ***** ***** she's always had upper respiratory problems.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your cat. How long has the vomiting been going on for?

How is her energy level?

IS she drinking water normally? more than usual?

What about urine and bowel movements?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr. Jess,Thank you for your response. I want to say it's been about two weeks or so and she has vomited about 5 or 6 times. She is acting normal with normal energy. Purring, sleeping most of the day, and her appetite has remained the same. She has bottle water dispenser that I fill with tap water when it empties and she enjoys drinking out of it. I haven't seen her drink it more than normal. She is peeing and pooing like normal as well, but this morning after she threw up, there was a watery stool in her litter.I did pick up the poo-looking hairball she threw up this morning and it didn't smell like poo; none of them have smelled like anything. I did put a teeny tiny piece of allergy medication in her water bottles for the past couple of months when I give her water to keep her from sneezing so often and it seemed to work well (one time I did not add it and she kept sneezing a lot, so I started doing it again). Since this morning, I have rinsed out her bottle and her dish, then just added regular water. I am hoping that the allergy medicine didn't affect her, but I am worried about her. I have done this because other vets have given me human allergy medication for her allergies, so instead of paying a lot to do something every time she sneezes, I just took it upon myself to get a tiny piece of a pill and add it to her water.I am not going to give her the Meow Mix Seafood Selection wet food that she gets once daily. She gets one scoop of the Purina One Indoor Advantage dry cat food that has worked well for her. I feel like that's all I will give her to eat for today.I am not sure what else to do at this point besides take her to the vet, but I have been taking her to Banfield in PetSmart and I'm not liking their service for the insurance that I am paying for her. Please help.