Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Willamette Veterinary Hospital
98941024

My 13 year old male cat has thrown up foam 10 times in the

Customer Question

my 13 year old male cat has thrown up white foam 10 times in the last 2 hours. He pooped a bit in the rug, which he never does, but he also looks like he is trying to poop more. Panting and drooling. Yowling.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: I can't find anything unusual around, but he is outdoors mostly.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Beanie Baby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?
Customer: He is up to date with shots except leukemia.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

It sounds like he is close to having a cardiac event, stroke, a seizure, or ton exposure. We need to get to him to an emergency veterinary clinic ASAP. Everything you have written tells me he may be critical and need medical attention immediately .

The best recommendation I can make right now is to get him to a veterinarian now if you can we need to get him examined. He needs medical intervention as this sounds serious and tells me Beanie Baby is in trouble.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I'll be paying a bunch to the off hours Vet.

All his physical signs are telling me that he is very ill and may not make it to tomorrow. I hope this is not the case, but being online all I have to go on to assess Beanie Baby is what you tell me.

Vomiting 10 times in quick succession is Serious by itself

Then you said he is panting and drooling all evidence of pain and nausea

Then loosing control of his bowels also means he could be going into shock.

I am sorry you do not like my advice but you are paying for an honest opinion and a medical one.

I hope he is ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He seems constipated not loose
Expert:  Sheena Christensen replied 5 months ago.

I would second Dr. Denney's advice. He sounds like he is in trouble. I am concerned that he possibly has a blocked urethra (which means he can not pee) and what seems like him trying to pass stool is actually him trying to pass urine. This can lead to cardiac arrest and death if not treated. Even if it is not this, the signs that he is showing - panting and drooling - are signs of a kitty cat in distress. The very best thing you can do for Beanie Baby is to get him to an emergency veterinarian. I hope that was helpful, let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he acts like he is pooping or peeing and nothing comes out that I can detect. He isn't panting or drooling anymore and he hasn't thrown up for 20 minutes. He may be blocked with a fur ball ?

Constipation with a fur ball is possible. As is a block that is preventing him from urinating. Either way Beanie Baby needs veterinary care immediately. I am glad you have reached out for veterinary advice. The next step is to get Beanie Baby some veterinary care tonight.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He just peed

Well I am very glad to hear that. I am still very concerned by his behavior and clinical signs and would advise immediate veterinary care. I hope that is helpful. I know these situations are extremely stressful.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He seems much better. I have called a nearby pet hospital and I can take him there anytime. I will continue to watch him for a bit.

​Ok. I am glad you are in contact with the pet hospital. Wishing you and Beanie Baby a very uneventful night.

I hope I was able to provide some help tonight. Let me know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thanks. He pooped a little just now and seems comfortable. So I don't know what all the vomiting was about, but that has passed.
Yes I am hopeful for an uneventful evening. Thanks again.
Jan
I am very happy to hear that. Wishing you the best. If you have no further questions I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my service. Have a good night.