Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Kitty is about 4 Mo old .. outdoor cat. I have been feeding

Customer Question

Kitty is about 4 Mo old .. outdoor cat. I have been feeding it. Looks to have no home, it had been raining here all day and night for a week. The cat looks weaker .. sneezes.. nasal green discharge.. respitory problems since the rain. I can't get a vet with any openings . This little boy is so sweet and friendly. I'm afraid for him. I have very little income and try to help but can't get in to see a vet and get him meds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: He looked strong before the rain.. probably loaded with fleas... Still a baby boy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He needs antibiotics quick.. today. Please help me .. if you can give a script I have a vet able to fill it (on line)... Smith and Foster.
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 4 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Unfortunately veterinarian laws in the states do not allow any veterinarian to prescribe medications for a pet they have not physically examined. I am so sorry.

Are you able to bring the kitty indoors so we can get the cat out of the weather?

Then we can start some steam therapy where you steam a bathroom up and allow the cat to sit in the bathroom with the steam for 15 minute to help break up the gunk.

Once again I am so very sorry we cannot script out mediations with out a doctor patient relationship. It is much the same with humans. I would suggest calling a shelter or human society to help you get him seen and treated. They may be able to foster him and get him treated and then adopted.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would rather talk than text but I live on 700 a month and after rent and utilities there is not a lot for food.. need I say vet expenses. I plan to bring him in but I can only get him in the basement with a blanket and cage. Give him food and water and he is full of fleas poor baby. I have a cat and I don't want her sick from him. She is 17. He needs something to help his immune system I don't know how to help him. Please help me

If you bring him in and put in in the bathroom in his cage and keep the door closed as long as he does not have direct contact with your cat she should be ok. We can even move all her food and litterbox and things into a bedroom and keep her in there until we can get him to the vet and out of your bathroom. The only way I can help is to recommend veterinarian care. I cannot get you medications without a physical exam according to the USA laws doctor patient relationship. You can try getting some vitamins from petsmart to try and boost his immune system. The steam therapy would help him. I would see if animal control could come get him form you and take him to a shelter where they can care for him get him well then get him adopted.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I put him in the basement won't the fleas jump off him.. will it infest the basement? Snowball goes down there occasionally, she sneaks past me. Can you put vinegar in the water .. like a drop or 2 in 2 cups of water and that will help him?

You could go and get some frontline from Walmart and put it on him as soon as he is inside that should help. But yes he could get fleas in the basement

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The shelter is a kill shelter here.. if I took him in it is certain death. They don't offer help or give it out.

They would not treat him? Normally kill shelters only euthanatize if they do not have room. Why not call and see if they have room.

Or see if a shelter a little farther away can take him ?

I want to do more for you I really do. Try the frontline on him and the vitamins and try the steam therapy see If it helps

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no car or transportation.. it is hard to get someone to help me.. I am an old woman and don't know a lot of people. To go out of the city is not going to happen .. a taxi is expensive. I have to talk in a few minutes to you.. I will be back.

I am so sorry I cannot help more I am gong to opt and see if another veterinarian on here has other suggestions

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a crate and trying to get it ready for him.. a blanket and some good food and water but after that... I have no way to get him flea meds and vitamins, no transportation. Can't bring him in the house, to the bathroom for steam treatment. He is dirty and has fleas and I have a 17 yr old cat to protect from sickness.

I am keeping an eye on the post hopefully someone else will have a suggestion I am just not sure what else I can offer to help with. Do you have family that can transport him for you?

There may be a feral cat society charity that does care for these guys you can search that

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a joke.. I paid you money I need for food and can't even get reasonable advise. I am desperate on what to do here. This is a desperate situation. Have some heart and help me to help him. Seems to be a small price to pay for a blessing.

this is not a joke. I am trying to do the best I can.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am only one left of my family.

I understand this is a tough situation all the way around, but I am just online I cannot help from here besides offering the advice I have given.

I have given you multiple options that you do not want to hear and I understand that you do not want to take him to a shelter that puts down animals. I understand that you are very low on funds. I am trying to do the best that I can. I cannot physically come get him from you. I would if I could but I cannot. I am going to contact customer service and refund you back the deposit as we cannot help you further here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On line is all I have.

I am so sorry I am asking customer service to refund your money. Call a local vet tomorrow and see if they can offer better advice

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Meghan.. I'm so upset over this beautiful boy kitty, don't know what to do.��