Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

A feral cat that just had kittens appears to have a problem

Customer Question

a feral cat that just had kittens appears to have a problem with her eye. There is a light green discharge from her left eye and she will not eat today. Any suggestions of anything I can do for her to ease her pain and restore her appetite? Since she is feral she will not let me pick her up and is too smart for a trap.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: We call her boo boo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: she is trying to keep the eye closed today and will not eat. I have ordered a cat dewormer and will try to get her to eat it as soon as it is delivered.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 4 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Ideally she would need to be examined so we can check for a corneal ulcer or scratch or eye infection, but to do this will take some help. Your local animal control should have a cat trap that you can borrow to try and catch her then she will need to be sedated and examined as there is no way to diagnose the issue without an exam. I see that you think she is too smart for a cat trap one but have you tried one yet ? We can also get a blow dart from animal control to sedate her so we can ge there examined. I know it is not an ideal solution, but we have no way of diagnosing the issue without an exam to get the appropriate mediations on board.

Now for the appetite we can try canned chicken, chicken baby food, diluted chicken broth (1 cup broth to 1 cup water warmed up) and if those do not work canned tuna in water.

You can also try a rotisserie chicken (just the white breast meat)

Have you seen her kittens ? If she is not eating we also have to worry about her milk production and the health of her kittens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried a cat trap, put food in it and then hid. She has absolutely no interest, appears she would starve first. I have gotten a glimpse of the kittens but they just hiss and run and hide. Would any type of worms affect her respitory system? Still waiting on the wormer to be delivered and will try to hide it in a good treat; just have to coax her away from the kittens and other cats to make sure she gets the wormer. Any possibility this would help her?

Since she appears to have an eye issue I do not think the de wormer will help with that. Now if she does have intestinal parasites and the de wormer kills them it will help give her immune system a boost which can in turn help her fight off the eye infection if that is all it is. My concern is that she may have a corneal scratch or ulcer in which those can need medical attention to heal.

Have you called animal control to see if they can come dart her for you? That way we can get her examined, vaccinated and get some medications on that eye.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney