Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I own a persian female of 18 years and currently she bleeds

Customer Question

I own a persian female of 18 years and currently she bleeds from the rectum and does not eat, only drinks water any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Persian's name?
Customer: Jamie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jamie?
Customer: She is very small and when she eats very little very mild temperament, she sleeps alot, can you offer any suggestions?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

How much blood are you seeing (spoonful, more or less)?

Are her stools very hard or loose? Any changes in passing urine?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Does she drink a lot of water?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one week showing signs, very little blood, less than a spoonful (tiny) no changes in passing urine, stools are firm, yes lip licking, and vomiting very little, it is a yellow vomit, she drinks water occasionally, not sure about the gums, tummy is full, she sleeps a lot, her eyes are very calm and she does move around a lot. She not eaten any harmful items, that I know of. She once and awhile licks the sheets on the bed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you advise me any suggestions of what I can do?? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Just typing my reply, will post shortly

-Dr .B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we do always need to monitor blood loss in our cats, but if Jamie is only pass a very small amount with firm stools then its likely colitis from her having to strain to get those stools out (very common at her age and often secondary to arthritis). Though that said, what is a bigger concern is this appetite loss and lip licking with a history of vomiting, all are nausea signs. And at her age, we'd be worried about gut infections and pancreatitis but also that this could be secondary to an issue with the kidneys or liver, secondary to metabolic diseases and even tumors. So, we need to tread with care for Jamie.

Now if she has been showing signs for a week already (thus this will be taking a toll but also running the risk of causing secondary fatty liver issues which can complicate getting her eating again), we'd really want her seen at this point. Ideally we'd want a local vet palpating her abdomen for any signs of tumors but also checking a geriatric blood sample for those other concerns. Most importantly, they can start injectable anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants +/- fluids to help us get her back to eating. Though any delay and we can at least try some supportive care for her. To do so, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider tempting her to eat. Favorites are allowed or you can try her with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Though if she won't be tempted but isn't vomiting actively, then we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned kitten food, Nutrical paste, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and help us avoid fatty liver issues for her as we work to get her eating.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, anorexia in a cat with nausea signs raises some worries here and we do need to be proactive. Therefore, while I do think she'd benefit on OTC joint supports (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 fish oils, Duralactin) and cat hairball treatment to help with her stool signs; we'd want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check bloods to make sure her organs are working properly, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, fluid, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.