Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

In the last 6 months my 16 year old cat has started

Customer Question

In the last 6 months my 16 year old cat has started breathing very noisily. Not all the time , off and on. In the last few I've caught him mouth breathing, very labored.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Monster, but he really isn't
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monster?
Customer: Yes, I had him in to get his teeth cleaned 4 weeks ago. He was diagnosed with thyroid problem and is taking medication twice a day . He responded very well, and his readings are very good. Vet heard the breathing and did an xray but nothing showed up, except a slight darkening in his sinus cavity over the roof of his mouth. He got antibiotics for 3 weeks and seemed a little better. Now he is on antihistamines. I just don't like to see him struggling to breathe. It still is an off and on problem
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle Ward replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Michelle. I will see if I can help. A few questions for you. Does he go outside? Any smokers in the house? Any use of incense or air freshener plug-ins? Was his blood pressure checked along with the thyroid workup?

and also were there any extractions when he had the dental cleaning?