Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Tail got caught as door.slammed. he pulled tail out but

Customer Question

Tail got caught as door.slammed. he pulled tail out but pulled all hair off.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tom....2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tom?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

This tail is going to have to be amputated. Try to keep the cat as calm and quiet as possible tonight... put the cat in a cat carrier or small room tonight, then see the vet tomorrow for amputation. If you have triple antibiotic ointment or vaseline, coat the exposed bone with it if you can. I am so sorry this has happened... there are no pain medications that work for cats over the counter. If you have human Tramadol you can give 1/2 tablet every 8 hours for pain. Good luck.

Are you there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Did you have any questions about my response? I am headed to bed soon but I do not want to sign off until I know that you do not have further questions.

I am wrapping up for the day here, but I need to make sure that you do not have any other questions for me before I sign off. To help signal to me whether or not we are done, please either rate my service (preferable), or say "thank you" to indicate that you are happy with my service and we are done talking for now, or please ask me more follow up questions. Thanks!

Hi there... how are things going today? Were you able to coat the tail in ointment or vaseline last night, and have you seen a vet today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.