Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Excessive grooming. lots of licking and scratching but legs

Customer Question

excessive grooming. lots of licking and scratching but legs missing lots of hair and hairballs are causing him to vomit and also large hairballs in bowel movemeny
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: he was a recuse kitty. I have had him a year and 4 mos. don't know the circumstances of his being left hurt in a ditch out in the country near death. had a great Vet that made him better.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Sean Egan replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about your cat.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

I'm assuming the near death in the ditch issue was before you got him?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok, is he a skittish cat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. There is too much activity right now.

Ok, so he is stressed then? Overgrooming of the belly and the back of the back legs is very common when they are stessed. They will lick the hair down smooth to the skin, but not have any sores on the skin. Is that what's happening?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Am watching 2 children each one wanting what the other has

That's ok, this isn't an emergency, so I can answer you at your convenience up until 11pm EST tonight, I'll be in and out of the house. Just post when you can, and I'll answer when I see your post.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

If you'd like to continue answering your question, just respond to the question I asked. I can post through the day while I'm at work today.