Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a female cat that is approx 10 years and just

Customer Question

I have a female cat that is approx 10 years and just recently she has develop a lump in the bottom of her mouth,had my family vet and a second look with another vet and both just looked with no tests and concluded it was cancel. She sometimes bleeds from the mouth, but not always and doesn't care to eat most of the time,lost a half pound,but stills gets around good. Am I hoping for a cure,of course or should I except the worse? Steve
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Cher. Unfortunately, the number one rule out for a lump in the oral cavity is some form of a cancer. The most common is a squamous cell carcinoma. They are locally very invasive and can cause intermittent bleeding as they are there growing and doing their thing. The not wanting to eat is most likely due to the growth in the mouth physically causing discomfort and a challenge to eating / movement of the tongue. The weight loss could be due to a combination of not eating due to it and it causing issues elsewhere in her body. Anyone in your situation would want a cure for their pet with this type of a situation. It is very understandable. If you wanted to find out exactly what the growth is and if anything more can be done, a biopsy can be done to send off some of the growth for histopathology. If this is cancer, then treatment options can be laid out based on what it is. One option that may be presented is placing a feeding tube in the side of her neck to be able to supplement her with calories if she's just not getting in what she needs orally. Some owners will go to this level and others don't want to push it that far.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Apparently the squamous cell carcinoma is what both vets think she might possible have,so it appears to me the illness might not have cured period?

If this is a squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity, it isn't something that is good. There are treatment options to try and extend the overall life of the pet and to make their quality of life better.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Want might you recommend. Thanks,Steve

Sorry for my delay Steve. What I think would be a good first option is to do a biopsy procedure to get a portion of the tissue to send in for a diagnosis and at that same time to place a feeding tube for nutritional support. A feeding tube can be used for medications to be administered too. The feeding tubes are easy to place and easy for owners to use at home. They are very well tolerated by the cats that have them. This is a more aggressive course of action of course. Some owners would rather prefer to continue to evaluate the overall quality of life of the pet and at some point make a quality of life decision.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Apparently there is nothing that can be done over the long haul if she has this illness, just enjoy her while I can and make the right decision when it's time, am I right?