Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I am looking at taking that next step with my boyfriend we

Customer Question

i am looking at taking that next step with my boyfriend we are moving in together but there is in issue. My parents got me a cat when i was younger and my boyfriend has an elderly dog and a cat that dont get along with new animals
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: When we first got her she was sprayed and nuetered and up on all her shots but after a year our landlord kicked us out and we moved into a house that didnt allow cats my parents decided to sneak it in but keeping it under the radar havent gotten in updated shots since. So looking at moving out when my parents cant keep the cat they got me at their house but i dont know how my partners animals will react to my cat or how my cat will react to the new environment as well as getting re caught up on all her shots. Im worried
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: When she is stressed she marks territory scratches and knocks things over im worried moving im with new animals will stress her out and complicate things in the household and again that combined with getting all her shots she may be unopen and hostile. My bfs dog can also be hostile to unknown animals
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meghan Denney replied 5 months ago.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

How old is your kitty and what is her name?

We need to get her updated on vaccines which you can do at a vaccine clinic for cheap just in case.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When we got her we got her from an older family member who couldnt keep her anymore. She was still the size of an older kitten but my family member found her abandoned so we dont know how old she is. We have had her for roughly 7 years. Her name is Hotel

Cats can usually adjust to anything but you will have to take it slow and add in some anti anxiety therapies.

1. Plenty of tall cat trees so Hotel can get in a safe zone

2. Feliway diffusers: calming feline pheromone works like a glade plug in, truly helps lower feline stress levels and we cannot smell it. You out one in each room and can buy it from amazon.com

3. Composure feline treats : nutritional supplement that has proven to reduce feline stress

https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-Composure-Feline-Bite-Sized/dp/B003KV7XVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494340213&sr=8-1&keywords=composure+for+cats

Those really help and if Hotelis treat motivated it will help a lot

Lastly we need to get her an exam and then vaccinated just in case so everyone is covered for rabies. Your veterinarian can also get you a medication called gabapentin (liquid or capsules) to give to her while moving and for a day or 2 while she is settling in. It does amazing feline anti anxiety and calming without zoning them. It is not a long term fix but it does speed the assimilation process

Then I would also recommended keeping her separate from the dog for at least a week in a room with cat tree, litter box food and lots of attention etc so she can get used to the smell from her new environment.

Is she de clawed or does she have her claws? Reason I am asking is if she has her claws we will need to trim them and provide plenty of scratching posts.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know my first step is getting her caught up on her shots. Its just from there that i am concerned. I cannot afford behavioral training experts and i know that my cat and his animals are likely to fight and his dog is in a fragile state at the moment but is much larger than my cat. I also worry that she has been an indoor cat all of her life but has always been curious of the outdoors but not having her shots we could never let her out. It is very easy to keep her from getting outside in the current house as she is kept upstairs but will be very difficult at the new house as she will have free roam of the house and im worried that she would not be able to handle herslef outside. I also know that unlike now where i have only been a student or an employee i will be both there. His animals are used to divided attention throughout the day from each family member but my cat is not. Im just not sure if its going to be the best environment for her there but my parents who got her for me when i was just 12 or 13 can no longer keep her there if im not there . Also she is clawed and scratches everything when she is nervous

try the tools I have given you the will help. the gabapentin will be immensely helpful for the first few days to get her settled in and as long as you are giving her lots of attention. We also are just talking hypotheticals and she may be just fine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alright i will look into those things thanks

Good luck ! I am glad I could help. If you have a moment could you please rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.