Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I had a tube of icyhot on the floor and my cat licked some

Customer Question

hey i had a tube of icyhot lotion on the floor and my cat licked some of it. not very much just a few ounces probably
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Archer. 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Archer?
Customer: he does throw up a lot in general.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Sean Egan replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about Archer.

A pop-up screen may appear asking if you would like a phone call. Please click NO, as I cannot take phone calls.

Is he salivating or licking his lips a lot?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi sean. he seems to not be salivating or licking his lips. behavior seems normal to me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i'm on the phone with poison control now.

ok, no need. It is basically menthol and petroleum. If he had ingested a significant amount, he would be salivating and retching due to the heating effect. The fact that he is doing neither means that he did not ingest a significant amount, so he will be fine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you sure? the vet on the phone said it has aspirin as part of the methyl salicylate and that i should take him in tonight

I am sure. Cats are very sensitive to things in their mouth. Anything they taste that is irritating will almost instantly make them salivate.

Besides, aspirin isn't toxic to cats. We use 1/2 of a 325 mg aspirin to slow clotting in cats with thrombotic disease. That 1/2 tablet will take 3 days to digest out of their system, but isn't toxic. And there's no way there's 325 mg of salicylate in that whole jar, let alone in the tiny amount he may have licked.