Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a cat that is diabetic. I give her an insulin

Customer Question

I have a cat that is diabetic. I give her an insulin injection twice a day. The vet also prescribed a special dry food. The food only comes in a 4 lb bag. I have two non-diabetic cats. Three cats three dinner bowls. I put the "healthy" food in all three bowls. You can imagine a 4 lb bag doesn't go far. I mix their food roughly 3/4 of the Royal Canin Glycobalance to 1/4 of the Friskies kibble they had been eating. With it being prescription, it puts me at the mercy of the vet as to when I can buy it. I was wondering if there was an over the counter (available from Pet Smart, Chewy, Petco, etc) food that is good for diabetic cats that I could add to the Gyclobalance or use in the place of if I run out of it an inopportune time. Thanks for any advice. Tim Morrow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry Canin has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. How old is Canin?
Customer: Royal Canin is the brand of the food. Dot is the cat. She is roughly 9-10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Canin?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, it's important to note that a special diabetic diet isn't required for these cats but can make regulating their blood glucose easier. The diabetic diets are high in protein and minimize the amount of carbohydrates but there are commercial foods that are similar. Look for kitten foods that contain percentages of protein and carbohydrates as close to that which is found in the Royal Canin diet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?