Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Cat has what seems to be an eye infection. His eyes 'weep'

Customer Question

Joe Cat has what seems to be an eye infection. His eyes 'weep' continually.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Joe. 15 years. He's had a weakness in getting colds since he was a little kitten. Sneezing, runny nose and his eyes run with a clear liquid down his face.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joe?
Customer: He's a good hunter:)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What does the discharge from the eyes look like?

Any redness associated with eyes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The discharge is clear. But one the one eye it seems to be chronic. He always has s dark scab below his eye.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Recently both eyes are running.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. That eye discharge and previous upper respiratory infections are all connected. It is usually caused by a herpes virus. Just like in humans, it never leaves the system but just goes dormant. As their immune system is stress, which is more common as they age, the virus can come out of dormancy more often. That sounds like what is happening here. There are a couple things you can try. 500mg of L-lysine twice daily may help to stimulate the immune system to keep the virus in check. You can also talk to your vet about prescribing an eye ointment to keep in the eye for outbreaks. It wouldn't hurt for your vet to check routine blood work on him if not done recently to see if there are any illnesses that may weaken the immune system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Joe is doing and to see if you have any other questions.