Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I moved to Alabama ( and my cat ) about a month ago. My

Customer Question

I moved to Alabama ( and my cat ) about a month ago. My veterinarian in AR had given my cat a dose of Comfortis . Since the cat is allergic to fleas it was wonderful . Now the cat needs another dose . I am in a retirement apartment and no longer drive . My cat was up to date on all shots etc. the morning of the day we left . Do you give prescriptions for Comfortis ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: The cat is 10 years old and weighs 9 lbs. The reason I am trying to get a prescription is that Comfortis worked perfectly to rid her of fleas .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Comfortis?
Customer: No, only that it worked perfectly for my cat for a month . I will take my cat to a vet once a year .
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Veterinarians cannot write a prescription for a pet we have not physically examined. It is against the law to do so and we could lose our license for doing so.

But your previous veterinarian in Arkansas could write a prescription and submit it or call it in to the pharmacy of your choice and have the pharmacy send the medication to you. That veterinarian has a valid doctor/patient relationship with you and your pet and if your pet was recently examined at their clinic they could legally do that for you.

Best of luck to you and your kitty in your new home.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara