Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Ndoor-outdoor male cat came home tonight with a swollen

Customer Question

ndoor-outdoor male cat came home tonight with a swollen place on the side of his head. He ate some of his wet food and then found a comfortable place on the bed. I would guess he might have been stung by a scorpion or spider. Is there anything I can do to help him or should I just leave him alone?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Whisker is about 7 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Whisker?
Customer: He is neutered and his usual routine is to be here and in the house for breakfast (5 a.m.) then he disappears until about 5:30pm or so when he comes in the house for his dinner. He spends the nights partly in and out. There is water available several places inside and a large dish outside. (We have 7 other cats AND a dog)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Whisker is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Actually the most likely reason for a lump on the face in a cat of your one's age group would be an abscess resulting from a bite from another cat. Cats are not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [pus forming] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course.

2. If the above is the diagnosis as seems likely then there is little you can do on a home remedy basis since prescription drugs such as antibiotics are almost always required and many such lumps need lancing, so really the best advice would be to have your local vet check him over at the next opportunity.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Whisker's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Whisker is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect abscess ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott