Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat has what looks like hot spot and also his outside of his mouth is raw all the way around, Shadow 3yrs, He has been

Customer Question
He has what looks like...
He has what looks like hot spot and also his outside of his mouth is raw all the way around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Shadow 3yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shadow?
Customer: He has been to the vet many times for this and all his blood work is normal and was given a steroid shot and antibiotics
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Shadow's hot spot and outside of his mouth to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Can you tell me how he has responded to the steroid and antibiotics in the past?

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Unfortunately, I can't make head nor tails out of that pic. I regret that if I can't see what you're seeing I won't be able to be as accurate for you as I would like to be. Perhaps you can get some help in taking a pic? If not, I'll opt out and you can contact customer service if you don't want to continue on in this conversation.

Thank you but the picture looks like a modern art painting to me. I can't make out one part of Shadow from another. I'll opt out which will allow another expert to take a look at these photos.

Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 9 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you with Shadow. That is indeed a hot spot, and the area on his mouth that is ulcerated is called a "rodent ulcer."
Both of these findings are consistent with an allergy. The problem is that it can be difficult to determine what Shadow is reacting to. Does Shadow go outside? Do you have any other pets?

How did Shadow do after the injections?

Shadow Is an only cat and is an indoor cat. Initially the steroid shot helped some what but the later ones did not
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 9 months ago

Ok, that is helpful to know. Here's what I usually suggest for these cats:

1. I like to use low doses of oral Prednisolone once the injection has had enough time to clear the system. I find it works better. This is a steroid, and I use it until we figure out the source of the problem.

2. Good quality flea prevention to rule out flea allergy - even if you're not seeing them!

3. Single protein food, preferably canned, but some cats will only eat dry. I like to stay away from fish and chicken. I really like the duck based diets for cats!

4. There are blood tests that can be done in cats to help determine environmental allergies, but they can be costly, and allergy injections sometimes help and sometimes don't.

5. Sometimes an antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine can help. You can get it over the counter at any pharmacy. In cats, we usually use 1/2 of a 4mg tablet twice daily.

6. Some of my clients find that using essential oils can help cats with allergic skin disease. There is a website called AnimalEO that makes one safe for cats called KittyBoost if you are interested.

http://www.animaleo.info/kittyboost.html

Please post back with further questions!

Dr. Snow

Thank you. Do you think having him tested for allergies would be beneficial?
What helps rodent ulcer, does what you suggest work for both problems?
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 9 months ago

I think testing is beneficial, but I usually recommend ruling out flea allergy and food allergy first as they are easier to treat, and we don't want to miss them and then have to start over!

Allergy testing also gives an answer on what they may be allergic to, but then the goal is to provide a basis for formulating allergy injections, so I usually leave that as a last resort for that reason.

Steroids help the most for the initial treatment, in my opinion for both rodent ulcers and hot spots!

steroids will take care of flea and food allergies without being tested?
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 9 months ago

Steroids will generally treat any allergy. Blood testing will really only help identify environmental allergies, like dust mites, molds, pollens, etc. There is no good blood test for food allergies = food trials (trying new single protein food sources) are best for that. Using a good monthly flea prevention is the best test and treatment to rule out flea allergies.

Hope that makes sense!

Thank you so much
Cat Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 9 months ago

You're welcome! Please let me know if I can help further, and please kindly rate me using the stars at the top! :)

Dr. Snow

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow