Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have a 20 year old cat, he looks rugged. He is very thin

Customer Question
we have a 20 year...
we have a 20 year old cat, he looks rugged. He is very thin and also he goes in and out of the house. He doesn't play he's mostly a barn cat....he has never put on weight and eats all the time today i noticed that he right eye is swollen and the 3rd eyelid is showing and the pupil is pinpoint. He's eating drinking and now napping on the sofa, but is there any thing i could do for him here at the house.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Frazier
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frazier?
Customer: no, he's been healthy but always skinny and he likes to hunt in the pastures and has had his shots each year.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
4/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was the last time that Frazier had bloodwork performed?

What foods are you feeding at this time?

He eats soft food 9 lives and dry food 9 lives plus.... he has never had blood work, they come by and just give him his rabies and other shots.

The reason I ask is that a great deal of the symptoms you mentioned match up with hyperthyroidism in cats. More info here: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm. Bloodwork would be needed in order to diagnose this. It would also be wise to check for illness like diabetes and kidney disease which can all cause substantial weightless and are often found in senior cats. More info here on Kidney disease: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/kidneydisease.cfm and

Diabetes: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_diabetes.cfm.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian