Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I just returned from an island off the coast of Nicaragua

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Andy,
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I just returned from an island off the coast of Nicaragua and there is an awesome working-cat on the island "Jeffery". The resort that Jeffery works at has had him neudered and vaccinated. There is no vet on the island and the vet from mainland Nicaragua will not be back until June. I think Jeffery is suffering from some time of mites on his face and ears. I have pictures.
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is Dr. Andy?
Customer: ........How old is Dr. Andy?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dr. Andy?
Customer: Who is this? The cat's name is "Jeffery". ......Am I corresponding with a computer?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would very much like to see the pictures. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr. Salkin,
I will upload the pictures to the paperclip. I think the cat, "Jeffery", neutered male with vaccines, may have ear mites and has been bitten by mites on his face, as he often sleeps on the flat patio stones.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You.

Do you recall if Jeffery were particulary pruritic (itchy) as evidenced by pawing and scratching at his face?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dr. Salkin,
Yes. He was very meticulous about grooming himself, he would try to scratch his ears and side neck, but hesitated or scratched gently as if the skin was soar. His hair is falling out in what I think are the "bite" areas.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi body looks great, but his face is a disaster. He carries his right ear tilted down. His cheeks seem to be swollen or puffy. I did not smell any odor from him. (mouth, ears), but I didn't get my nose closer than 2 inches from him.

Thank you. Sarcoptic mange (scabies) and otodectic mange (ear mites but these mites can be found all over his head and body) are quite pruritic. The great majority of the hair loss I see is due to his fighting with other cats. His eyes show evidence of feline herpsesvirus (FHV-1) infection. His "puffy cheeks" are the cheeks of an intact male cat and so they may become less puffy as time passes now that he's neutered. Finally, I can't rule out ringworm (a fungal infection) contributing to his skin disorder. These cats rarely have just one thing going on with their skin.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was going to try to get a couple of flee-tick collars sent to him, some ear mite drops, and some lotion to put on his bites to clean and decrease itching. All are over the counter. A vet from mainland Nicaragua is to visit the island in June.

I applaud your caring for Jeffery. I was on Utila (Honduras) for a few weeks and know how difficult it is to find a competent small animal vet in the Caribbean. See if you can find the new Seresto collar which is over the counter and addresses both fleas and ticks. Treatment for mites, however, is best done with 2-3% lime sulfur dips every 7 days until follow-up skin scrapings are negative for mites +/- injectable or oral ivermectin or doramectin. The vet can bring any of those products with him/her. Ear mites drops may suffice for the ears but as mentioned those mites can be found all over Jeffery's face and body.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?