Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a really stubborn ear infection on the Right ear.

Hello. My cat has...

Hello. My cat has a really stubborn ear infection on the Right ear. She was a rescue from a shelter. She's around 10-14yrs old. There is a foul odor and is draining. Vet claims there is no tumor. She has no ear mites either. She's been on mometamax, posatex, ect...I am looking to restart the mometax

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Thank you. Her name is ***** ***** is also on phenobarbital for seizures. So har her labs are normal (no thyroid issues)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Logan?

No that's it. I believe

4/2/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Ear infections can be quite stubborn. Because she has been on so many different medications without resolution, I recommend that she has a deep ear culture and then an ear flush. You need to find out what bacteria you are dealing with. It may be resistant to many of the previously used antibiotics. Once we know what it is sensitive to, then the proper antibiotic can be chosen. Ear medications can be compounded with whatever antibiotic is indicated. Also, by thoroughly flushing the ear canal, you remove a lot of the debris and have a more effective treatment. This will allow visualization of the ear drum and a thorough evaluation for evidence of a polyp or a mass. Anesthesia is necessary for a deep ear flush, but it sounds like Logan is at that point. Please ask any follow up questions.

That makes alot of sense. Also, it could be the source of her seizure? My only concern is that she is an old cat, will she tolerate the anesthesia?

Age is not a disease, but it makes us more vigilant in assuring their safety prior to anesthesia. She should have full bloodwork. Also, a good veterinarian will adjust their anesthesia protocol for an older patient. It is unlikely that the ear and the seizures are related. It would have to be a large tumor that impacted both, and I think she would be more clinically affected.

Thank you very much

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you.

Hi Sj,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian