Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10 year old cat may have eaten my dog's heart worm

medicine-heartgard dosage for a 20...
My 10 year old cat may have eaten my dog's heart worm medicine-heartgard dosage for a 20 lb dog.
What do I do?
3/23/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that your kitty ingested a Heartgard Plus pill containing 68mcg of ivermectin and 57mgs of Pyrantel (pill size for a 20 pound dog).

Both of these medications are used in cats for worm prevention and treatment.

Ivermectin is a very safe medication that we routinely give doses daily several times higher then the dose in Heartgard to treat other types of parasites such as demodex mites. Cats take ivermectin for heartworm prevention too, and they actually take more per pound of body weight than dogs do. A 7lb cat would take 165mcg, so in all likelihood your kitty actually took a below normal dose. I would not expect this to be a problem for a kitty that is otherwise healthy.
Things to watch for with a toxic dose of ivermectin are drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination and possibly seizures, sometimes blindness that does resolve in most cases in time.
But given the amount ingested I think your kitty will be fine and I don't expect that you will see any side effects.

Pyrantel is an intestinal parasite wormer. The usual dose is for a 7 pound cat would be as high as 72.6mgs, so 57 mgs should not be a problem for most cats.

In short although this wasn't meant for your kitty, it should do him no harm.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian