Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is a older cat and is going into labor i already saw…

Customer Question
She is a older...

She is a older cat and is going into labor i already saw some water and she is trying to push and now she is patting like a dog between contactions this is her first time ever having kittens what should i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

Her name is mama

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds important. The vet will definitely help you with this. I'm going to connect you with a vet who has 3889 happy customers and a 4.6 out of 5 Rating. Anything else we should know before I connect you?

She continues to push but nothing yet

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

How old is Mama?

When did active labor start?

Care During Pregnancy

The female cat has relatively few needs during pregnancy. She will need a food that is approved for growth (i.e., a food appropriate for kittens) as she will need the extra calories, particularly after delivery when she is nursing. Her metabolic demand during nursing will triple and she will especially need the extra calories then.

Most mother cats will seek their own nesting area in the last week or so of pregnancy. If you wish to help her, expect her to require soft bedding, an area with minimal human traffic and separation from other pets in the home.

Labor

Several hours (and perhaps a whole day) of restlessness, grooming, nesting, pacing, panting, vomiting, and crying indicates that labor has begun. Like the dog, there is often a drop in body temperature (to less than 99 degrees F) indicating contractions will commence in the next 12 to 36 hours but this is not as reliable a finding as in the female dog. The female cat secludes herself in her selected nest area and begins to purr.

The above first stage of labor progresses to the second stage of labor with the initiation of hard contractions and the birth of a kitten. The third stage of labor refers to the passing of the placenta. The entire litter is born usually within 6 hours with kittens every 30 to 60 minutes. If she is stressed or distracted she is able to stop her labor and restart the next day. The new mother usually eats the placenta and membranes of the kitten’s sac. There is no benefit to this behavior so if you wish, you may remove these tissues from the nest and prevent her from eating them but be careful not to tug on the umbilical cords if you cut them as this can damage the baby’s internal organs. Do not attempt to move her and the kittens to a “better” nest spot after labor has started. This may stress her into curtailing her labor or worse may scare her into neglecting the litter.

Strong contractions for more than 60 minutes without producing a kitten indicates she needs help and should see the vet right away.

Most of the time labor is normal and goes off without a hitch. Kittens may begin solid food around age 4 weeks of age and may be adopted to new homes at age 8 weeks.

Vaginal discharge is normal for up to 3 weeks post-partum. This discharge is typically black or reddish and consists mostly of old blood. If the discharge seems particularly bloody, have the vet assess her blood loss. If the discharge looks like pus, she may have a uterine infection. Bring her to the vet; she may need to be spayed right away.

Complications Surrounding Labor and Pregnancy

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy is not normal and suggests that she is aborting the litter. If this is occurring late in pregnancy (the 8th week) she may be delivering the litter prematurely and a cesarean section is likely necessary. In either case, have the vet check her to assess the blood loss and decide what to do.

Dystocia
If she has been having strong contractions for greater than 60 minutes, she needs assistance in passing the kitten. Bring her and any kittens delivered to the vet’s office right away.

Retained Placenta/Metritis
If the mother cat retains the placenta , she can develop an infection, fever or appetite loss, and neglect the kittens. If this occurs, she will need to see the vet right away, possibly be hospitalized and will probably need to be spayed to remove the infection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have her for about almost 7 years and I didn't even know that she was pregnant this is her first time and I am very concerned what should I do and she started around 430

I want you to read what I have typed above. If she just started at 4:30 and it is now 4:40 we are ok and it can take some time for the first baby to arrive.

How is she doing?

If my information was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so I can be credited by the site for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have. Just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney