Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How do I know when it's time to euthanize? My cat is at

Customer Question
How do I know...

How do I know when it's time to euthanize? My cat is at least 18 living mostly in my bed. Drinks a lot of water. She is still eating and pooping and peeping. She does miss the litter box sometimes but I have per pads under her. I'm I doing the wrong thing. She also still meows for treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Emily Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emily?

She can no longer get her shots because the last time almost did her in. Also she has arthritis

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. Evaluating quality of life can sometimes be difficult. I do tell owners that you know your pet best, ***** ***** are the best judge of that. I can only give some guidelines I look for. I tend to look at eating/drinking, interaction with the family, enjoying some of the things they used to enjoy (of course not including stuff that takes a lot of energy), urinating/defecating in the house and energy level vs sleeping a lot. Eating and drinking are the most important part of that. I would also throw in vomiting or having a lot of diarrhea. If it seems like she is not doing well in 3 of those things, then I would say that the quality of life has greatly diminished enough to consider euthanasia. Of course, if not eating or drinking and/or having a lot of vomiting or diarrhea; then those other guidelines may not be as important. When you say that the "last time almost did her in", are you referring to her being stressed at the vet's office or not doing well after coming home from vaccines? I only ask because it is possible that blood work may show a medical reason behind her symptoms that your vet can manage (most likely not cure at her age) and make her feel better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Emily is doing and to see if you have further questions.