Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She's walking a bit stiff in the back legs and I heard her

She's walking a bit stiff in the back legs and I heard her cry out in the litter box yesterday morning. Haven't been able to tell if she's pooped yet though as I hadn't cleaned the boxes yet at that point.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Shadow is two years old as of this month.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: I did find some blue painting tape in a piece of stool when I did clean her box.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has she had any issues passing urine?

Since you noted tape in her stool before, any chance she has eaten something she should not have?

Any gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

If you feel up and down the legs, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any history of a trauma or fall?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She just went pee actually, watched her do it myself in hopes of seeing whether she'd poo as well.
She's overly fond of eating paper and cardboard boxes, it's never affected her before and I've brought it up to her vet who said not to worry about it. She'll also try and eat string or twine, sometimes my hair when it's wet.
Not gagging, no lip licking out of the ordinary for her, and no drool or vomiting.
Her belly is fine, was checking it and other than her typical protests to belly touching there was none.
Her legs feel good and solid, she's had no issues with them.
She hasn't fallen recently either, no past traumas either.

Thank you,

Now I am glad she can pass urine without issue and hasn't any of those urgent signs I asked about.

In this case, we do need to monitor Shadow closely if she is a bit stiff but I suspect it may be a side effect of a potential constipation. That would explain her crying in the litter box and could certainly be triggered if she were eating any of those items (especially if she had had quite a bit recently).

With that in mind, there are a few treatments we can try to see if we can get this settled for her. To start, you can start by offering some cow's milk. We do find that the lactose in milk can be helpful at getting the gut moving quicker to help stool pass. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. These can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.

Of course, as we use these, we do want to keep monitoring Shadow. Any of the above signs, if we cannot get her passing stool in the next 24 hours, or if the stiffness doesn't settle once she does, then we'd want a check with her vet to make sure we have no blockages or injuries to her legs that she hasn't told us about. If need be, her vet can give an enema and kitty safe pain relief to get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** keep these in mind.
I have her strictly on wet food until I confirm she passes as well.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Good, the increased water content in the canned food will help as well. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everything is going well, she was able to use the restroom after I gave her a little bit of milk. I continued to check her box even after she went and could see a noticeable difference, between when she was feeling constipated and when she was regular, in her stool.
Thank you so much for the help, it was much appreciated.

You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

I am very glad to hear that we could get things moving f or Shadow. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.