Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

Cat is limping. Back foot kind of flopping. Not crying in

Cat is limping. Back foot kind of flopping. Not crying in pain, not swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Peter Pan 11 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peter Pan?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cat has heart murmur and enlarged or heart shaped heart.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I am sorry Peter Pan is having this issue (great name !)

Is he indoor out door? Any chance of trauma? Can he bear weight on it at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Indoor. Not aware of any trauma. He does bear weight on it.. limps and the foot kinda flops. He is still walking up stairs and jumps to the low chair

Hmmm ok so a few things I would be worried about in a slightly older kitty

1. Soft tissue injury: did he pull or strain a muscle, tendon, ligament. This may be self limiting if it is not serious. Confine him for tonight restrict activity and lets see how he is doing tomorrow

2. Arthritis or bone injury: if this has occurred then he will still be lame tomorrow on this leg and he will need an exam and possible some X-rays to assess the bone health and check for a small fracture or arthritis

- If this is arthritis then a few days of anti inflammatory medication (onsior is approved for cats once a day for 3 days ) and a maintenance medication called gabapentin can be used every day

- if this is a fracture it will depend on where it is and the severity

3. Tendon laxity : sometimes in age connective tissue can become stretched out confirmed by X-ray and managed with joint supplements and pain medications

Will you be able to get him examined tomorrow if the limp is still present ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I plan to call his vet tomorrow. My main concern is a blood clot. And if I should take him to emergency vet

Blood or saddle thrombus would mean complete non use of the leg and it is excruciatingly painful.. These cats are screaming in pain.

The likelihood of a blood clot from what he is doing and how is acting is extremely low.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3351 This website goes into more detail about a blood clot

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me for helping you.

I am also here for follow up questions. Just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards ***** ***** luck with Peter Pan,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, thank you. That puts my mind at ease.

You are very welcome.