Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

For the past four months or so, Taz (neutered, 15 years old)

For the past four months or so, Taz (neutered, 15 years old) has been walking around the house howling day and night. Now he's recently starting urinating in strange places, which he never used to do. A trip to the vet showed a slight UTI, which cleared up after some antibiotics -- but he continues to pee wherever he wants to. He's both an indoor and outdoor cat. We have another male cat (17 years old) that Taz has been with his whole life; however, the other cat is the dominant one who "attacks" Taz quite frequently. Our 20-year-old female cat died in January, but Taz wasn't super close to her anyway. We're being driven nuts with his howling and peeing. Please, can you tell us what is causing this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Taz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taz?
Customer: No -- Just the howling and peeing.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Did your veterinarian check blood work, or just a urinalysis?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was just a urinalysis
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?

Okay. The first thing would be to check full blood work to make sure that he is not going into kidney failure and to make sure he does not have hyperthyroidism. Those are two things that could cause increased urination and could also cause the howling.

Yes, I am here, I am typing... please be patient.

If the blood work is normal, then I suspect the urination and the howling are related to dementia.

Dementia can be hard to treat... you can try treating it with a Feliway Diffuser that you can plug in... you buy them from pet stores.

They emit a pheromone that calms and soothes cats, and it can sometimes help in cases of dementia when cats are howling.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think hyperthyroidism results in weight loss or lack of appetite. However, Taz has actually gained a pound in the last year. He's up to 15 pounds now. If it's dementia, is there anything to do about it?

But the most important thing would be to check the blood work.

Hyperthyroidism results in increased appetite in most cases, but you are correct, they often drop weight.

Dementia is hard to treat, but you can try the Feliway Diffuser that I mentioned above to see if it helps with vocalization.

You can buy them on Amazon.com or at pet stores. It may not be a bad idea to try that first.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hmm, ok. Maybe I'll look into that diffuser. Thank you! I know he's considered to be an old cat, but he's always been so perfectly behaved until now. :(
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you!

I am sure he is not doing this to act out... either he is having a medical problem that blood work will show, or he is having cognitive dysfunction, which happens with our older animals. I am so sorry you are dealing with this! Good luck.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

You are so welcome! Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive compensation for assisting you today. Good luck, and have a great rest of the day.