Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

Found him yesterday limping and I brought him inside to

Found him yesterday limping and I brought him inside to check him out. He was real sensitive a
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Don't know later that night noticed that the upper part of his front legs had a knot in it. He tries to bite if you touch it. I gave him some Onsior that the vet had given me for something else. Today the leg was huge and he trying to bite again. I gave him the other Onsior that I had swelling went down again and he's outside under the car because my husband decided he need to tinkle. Got any ideas? We're going to the vet in the morning.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: No Max is eating when he's put on the dryer because he won't jump up there. He's not walking around a lot except right now. He's drinking.

Hi there,

I'm Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question about Max. Just a moment while I type my response....

A cat bite abscess is the most likely explanation for front leg swelling in a cat that goes outside. Soft tissue trauma (i.e. without infection) would be the second most likely explanation. My advice is to keep your cat inside until you can get to the vet today or tomorrow. They can examine his leg (perhaps shave the hair to look for a wound) and consider x-rays if an external injury is not evident of palpation of the area suggests an injury to the internal structures of the leg. Barring any surprises on exam or x-rays, antibiotics and pain medication are likely in order. If an abscess is present, then it may require sedation to drain the infected material. Your cat should continue to remain indoors until his leg has healed completely which usually takes about 10 days.

I hope you found this information helpful. If you have other questions regarding this matter, then select REPLY TO EXPERT. If you have received all the information you needed, then kindly select the star rating at the top of the screen to accept my response.

Thanks,

Dr. Karing

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing