Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

After I pet my cat, he looks at me and then grabs my hand in

After I pet my cat, he looks at me and then grabs my hand in his mouth (he does not bite) and then lets it go. What is he trying to tell me?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: twelve twelve age 4years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about twelve?
Customer: no

Hi there,

I'm Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question. Usually cats do this for one of two reasons:

1. He wants you to continue to pet him and this is a gentle reminder keep it up

2. He has been overstimulated and this is a warning to stop

He is probably giving you other clues that will help sort out which of these two scenarios is occurring such as ears down or back that suggests he is irritated and telling you to stop. Alternatively, he may be purring and continue to rub up against you and head-butt which means he is enjoying the petting and would like you to keep it up.

I hope you found this information helpful. If you have other questions regarding this matter, then please select REPLY TO EXPERT. If you have received all the information you needed then kindly select the star rating at the top of the screen to accept my response.

Thanks,

Dr. Karing