Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Slight head tremor/shake. He looks like his head is slightly

Slight head tremor/shake. He looks like his head is slightly turned. Not sure if he could have a slight stroke? Other than that he seems to be eating and using the litter box fine. He is 17 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Oreo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oreo?
Customer: None that I can think of.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Oreo. You're certainly correct to consider stroke at Oreo's age and if that's the case it's likely to have involved either his brain stem or cerebellum - areas containing his vestibular (balance) control. A head tilt ("head is slightly turned") is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of vestibular disorders. Head tremors have their origin most often in the brain as well.

We don't have specific therapy for strokes and so any treatment remains supportive and symptomatic. His eating and eliminating normally are very positive prognostic signs for his recovery although he may be left with a permanent head tilt. I don't see a reason for a vet visit at this time. I would continue to monitor Oreo and hope for him to normalize within the next few weeks.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?