Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I took my cat into her vet on Thursday after seeing her

I took my cat into her vet on Thursday after seeing her throw up several times on Wednesday. My vet performed some blood tests and I was told my cat was suffering from kidney disease (my cat will be 17 years old this summer). Since then, she has stopped using her catbox to urinate in, squatting and relieving herself in several places around my home. Last night, she seemed to be having trouble urinating, only being able to urinate a few drops at a time over the course of a few hours. With this exception, she's alert, active and has a healthy appetite.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Clinton, Pepper is certainly likely to suffer from chronic renal insufficiency at her age but her eating well suggests that such insufficiency isn't severe. Her stranguria - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - most often indicates a geriatric bacterial (E. coli, often) urinary tract infection which would require a week's worth of a broad spectrum antibiotic. Was a complete urinalysis performed at the time of her blood tests? It should have revealed evidence of such an infection - the presence of bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A urinalysis wasn't performed. Pepper did happen to relieve herself on one of the vet techs while during the blood draw and my vet said that it was extremely diluted. The blood test checked her kidneys, thyroid and something else that I just can't remember. Pepper also had intravenous fluids given to her at the time.

The one test needed to find a urinary tract infection wasn't performed! I can see why but a complete urinalysis is essential when evaluating the kidneys and, of course, for diagnosing a urinary tract infection. Yes, dilute urine is consistent with chronic renal insufficiency.

Be sure to let Pepper's vet know what you're seeing. I suspect that a broad spectrum antibiotic such as oral Clavamox will be prescribed for you to administer twice daily for a week. Two days after the course of antibiotic is completed, Pepper's urine should be checked to make sure that it has been sterilized.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will be calling her vet first thing tomorrow to get her in and checked out. Thanks so much for your answers. I've had her since she was six weeks old and this is the first serious health issue she's had I've had to deal to deal with. Needless to say, it's been extremely stressful for me even though I know that she's getting up in years and these kinds of things are to be expected. Thank you again!

I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to once again. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.