Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

The hair on his back close to his tail and about 4 inches up

The hair on his back close to his tail and about 4 inches up his back is thin. Over the past year his brother died and my husband has been in the hospital for nine months. I am wondering if it is stress. His diet has not changed. He is an indoor/outdoor cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mr. Tubbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr. Tubbs?
Customer: I don't know of anything

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Mr. Tubbs, and sorry about your husband being in the hospital so long.

Since Mr Tubbs goes outside, do you use flea and tick control on him? The most common reason for thinning hair in that area of hs body is an allergy to flea bites. Even if you are not seeing any fleas, this could be the problem. Cats are such good groomers that they groom and swallow the fleas, so we don't see them.

I would use a Seresto collar, or put Frontline on him if you don't use flea control.

Some cats do lick their hair off when they are stressed, but usually on their sides, or lower belly. Still, it could be stress. I would try the flea control first, however. Let me know what other questions I can answer. I hope your husband is out of the hospital soon.

Thanks for the good rating.