Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a FIV positive cat that is hungry but only wants to

I have a FIV positive cat that is hungry but only wants to eat the gravy from packaged cat food. ANY suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sam is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: Not that I know of.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear that Sam has FIV. Many of these cats have sores in their mouths, called gingivitis, that make eating difficult. Pain medication such as Onsior or buprenorphine, can be helpful. These are by prescription, there are no safe over the counter pain medications for cats.

A picky appetite could be a sign that the infection is making him sick internally. Even though he acts hungry, appetite stimulants such as mirtazapine might make him eat better.

If I could, I would take his temperature (normal rectal temperature is between 101 and 102), check his mouth, feel his lymph nodes and internal organs for signs of the FIV causing problems. FIV positive cats can live for years, but eventually become immune suppressed to the point of developing secondary infections that can be serious.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

I hope you were able to see my responses. Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your information.

You are welcome. Thanks for the good rating. Please let me know how he is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?