Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Cat verses fan belt..... called on call vet and explained

Cat verses fan belt..... called on call vet and explained situation to her and she suggested I take her in to get euthanized! Back paw has a finger that has exposed bone, and a very large area on her abdomen. What are your suggestions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can you tell if her "guts" are exposed verses adapose tissue? For the night we calculated her dose of Benadryl, tramadol, amoxicillin, and gabapentin and gave it to her! I don't want her in pain, but would like to give her a chance. I also cut her hair around the abdominal wound, sprayed it out with normal saline, followed by silvadine cream and wrapped her abdomin with cling. The wound is about 5 by 5 cm and down to the meat...... any other suggestions would be helpful until i can get to my regular vet.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gums are pale pink, the white in the picture is the silvadene cream. Her breathing is about 60 and she is purring
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has not eaten but she has drank

The poor love!

If she is purring, that may be skewing our respiratory rate, so we may need to recheck that for her once she isn't doing so (perhaps taking the rate by watching her across the room when sleeping).

Anyway, the photo is a bit tricky to interpret with the cream on it but it doesn't quite give the impression of loops of bowel hanging out (which to be honest would have dropped out quite dramatically if we had a full breach of the abdomen) and is more suggestive of muscle exposed. In any case, since we cannot rule out any (even small) perforation into the abdominal cavity, we would want to have a more surgical minded local vet involved as soon as we can. This will take some intensive care but the toe can be amputated (if it was more then one digit, then the leg could be removed and cats do fine with either). In regards ***** ***** abdomen, as long as we don't have a perforation (if we did, they would need to be opened and flushed +/- IV antibiotics to prevent peritonitis) then we'd want to consider skin grafting. Of course, we'd need her stable before that and out of a initial period of shock, so IV fluids on top of your vet good and thorough care there would be indicated.

Otherwise, I am happy with what you are using so far, but can you give me the dose of each you are giving, her weight and the frequency you are using? That way I can make sure the doses are all optimum for her size and doing what we need them to do.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is about 8 pounds. All med were crushed up and dissolved in tuna. The tramadol we had was 50mg mixed with 1 ml tuna juice, we gave 0.8ml. The amoxicillin was 500mg mixed with1.5 ml tuna we gave 0.5 of that, Benadryl was 25mg mixed with 1ml and we gave 0.5 of that and the gabapentin was a 300mg capsule mixed with 2ml tuna we gave 0.5ml also of that

Thank you,

Now if she is 8lbs (3.6kg), she can have:

Tramadol: 7.2-14.4mg every 12 hours. In that solution, that would be actually 0.14-0.28ml. So, we may need to just wean that down for her if we can.

Amoxicillin: 36-90mg every 8-12 hours. For her, I'd lean to the high end and every 8 hours if we can do so without stressing her. In regards ***** ***** dilution, that would translate to 0.1-0.28ml. So, again you are giving more than we'd standardly give and if she isn't keen to eat (though discomfort in general is enough of a reason under the circumstances) we'd drop that down since Amoxi can cause nausea in cats.

Benadryl: 1.8-3.6mg every 12 hours. Now I assume you are using this for its sedation effects but as it too can cause nausea and appetite loss in cats; I'd be tempted to halt this one with her having the Tramadol already. Otherwise, the dose you gave before was 12.5mg, so do try reducing that at least just now.

Gabapentin: 18-36mg or a max dose of 25 – 50 mg per cat every 8 hours. For her, we could use the higher end but I'd note that the 0.5ml dose you gave was 75mg. So, we can reduce that down as well to 0.33ml.

Overall, all the doses are a bit higher then we'd like but under the circumstances its not a major worry. Though given her lapse in appetite, I'd suggest stopping the Benadryl first and then weaning down the Amoxi to see if we can get her eating. She could have a quarter of a 10mg Famotidine/Pepcid tablet to combat any nausea as we do this. You can also try feeding her with canned kitten food, Nutrical paste or a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) so we can keep her getting nutrition for healing but also to offset any risk of secondary fatty liver issues. And hopefully otherwise she will remains stable there until we can get her to a surgeon to address this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tiffany is doing much better. She went Monday to the vets and was admitted. They cleaned up her wound and gave antibiotics. She came home yesterday. Remend wound spray twice a day and antibiotics for the next 21 days. We have a follow up appointment on Saturday. Thanks for asking!

You are very welcome and thank you for the update on wee Tiffany,

That is great to hear that she is doing well and is on the mend. :)

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.